Please scroll down for many articles, documentaries, charts and more. Then SHARE the seeds of truth.
How to get rid of Trolls on Youtube
Safe Water Halifax
Fluoride Officially Classified As A Neurotoxin by Prestigious Medical Journal
The movement to remove industrial sodium fluoride from the world’s water supply has been growing in recent years, with evidence coming out against the additive from several sources.
Now, a report from the world’s oldest and most prestigious medical journal, The Lancet, has officially classified fluoride as a neurotoxin — in the same category as arsenic, lead and mercury.
Professional Perspectives: Fluoride in Tap Water
Uploaded on Jan 15, 2008
Part of a new series of “Professional Perspectives” on Fluoride. In this short video, Dr. Bill Osmunson — a general and cosmetic dentist — explains why he is now concerned about fluoride and water fluoridation. To learn more about Dr. Osmunson’s practice, see: http://www.smilesofbellevue.com
To sign the Professionals Statement Calling for an End to Fluoridation, see: http://professional.fluoridealert.org
Here’s the Material Safety Data Sheet for Mosaic’s Hydrofluosilicic Acid that they pour into our water
FLUORIDATION: CEASE AND DESIST (2014 Documentary)
New evidence in regards to water fluoridation has shown that the science used to prove its effectiveness in preventing dental decay and it’s safety in regards to consumption were severely flawed.
This documentary takes an in depth look at the history of water fluoridation and how entire populations have been mass medicated and slow-poisoned without their consent, a clear human rights violation going against the Delaney Clause.
Why we changed our minds about fluoridation
WARNING ☠ FLUORIDE ☣ Are we being poisoned? Toxic Waste? Full Length Documentary Film
Published on Jan 25, 2015
Why Water Fluoridation Continues, Despite Flying in the Face of Science
click on this link to view video.
Must Watch: Hidden Camera Inside Fluoride Facility
An Inconvenient Tooth – Fluoride Documentary
Published on Sep 8, 2012
An Inconvenient Tooth is a documentary film about fluoride. It was released September 6th, 2012 at the City Hall in Portland, Oregon.
Fluorides, the Atomic bomb, and a spy
Jun2 5 by theodorewesson
Fluorides, the Atomic bomb, and a spy
by Jon Rappoport
June 25, 2014
In 1997, Joel Griffiths and Chris Bryson, two respected mainstream journalists, peered into an abyss. They found a story about fluorides that was so chilling it had to be told.
The Christian Science Monitor, who had assigned the story, never published it.
Their ensuing article, “Fluoride, Teeth, and the Atomic Bomb,” has been posted on websites, sometimes with distortions, deletions, or additions. I spoke with Griffiths, and he told me to be careful I was reading a correct copy of his piece. (You can find it—“Fluoride, Teeth, and the Atomic Bomb,” at fluoridealert.org.)
Griffiths also told me that researchers who study the effects of fluorides by homing in on communities with fluoridated drinking water, versus communities with unfluoridated water, miss a major point: fluorides are everywhere—they are used throughout the pharmaceutical industry in the manufacture of drugs, and also in many other industries (e.g., aluminum, pesticide)—because fluorine is very active and binds with all sorts of other substances. Therefore, there is extremely wide public exposure to fluorides.
I want to go over some of the major points of the Griffiths-Bryson article. *** continue
Fluoride: The Hard to Swallow Truth Documentary
Uploaded on May 1, 2011
Follow us on FB –
Support us at film festival by viewing this link –
** PLEASE SHARE**
** You Can buy DVD copies in paper sleeve made for mass duplication here!
This short documentary looks at the initial theories behind the effectiveness of fluoride and where it originated.
It goes on to show the lack of science behind the use of Fluoride and reveals Fluoride as a toxic waste substance that is being pumped into our drinking water.
The documentary will conclude by delivering the “hard to swallow truth” of fluoride which pertains to why it is actually used.
Check out our Feature Documentary ‘The Collective Evolution’
Published on Mar 22, 2013
More info about movie at:
Like us on Facebook:
The Georgia Guidestones is a large granite monument in Elbert County, Georgia. It has been referred to as an American Stonehenge. The person or group that paid for its construction is a mystery.
Inscribed on its stones are ten commandments, written in twelve languages, for what it describes as an Age of Reason. Many believe it is an agenda for the New World Order.
The first commandment is: “Maintain humanity under 500 million in perpetual balance with nature.” Since the world population now stands at over seven billion, that means the commandment calls for the elimination of 93% of the world’s population.
THE CULLING ALREADY HAS BEGUN
The Great Culling of the human race already has begun. It is being done through chemicals added to our drinking water, food, medicines, and the air we breathe — chemicals that have the known effect of reducing fertility and shortening lifespan.
This message can no longer be dismissed as conspiracy theory. The facts are in plain view.
This documentary is the first of a three-part series. It shows how additives to our drinking water, such as fluoride, supposedly to combat tooth decay, in reality are covert doses of death.
It also shows how you can protect yourself and your family.
Order the Paul Wittenberger Collection
Fluoride is the 2nd most toxic element of earth. It is listed at the top of the periodic table of elements.
It is an Acid when combined with water.
All those parts per billion when they accumulate in different areas of your body are acid eating at your body causing what they call cancer.
That is why no two cancers are the same. Cancer can be easily cured and stopped.
Basically your body needs a nutrient that neutralizes acid.
Such as natural fats.. Or Hemp oil.. go to http://Hemptruth.wordpress.com for all the information.
Hitler who put fluoride in the drinking water, was created by the Federal Reserve banksters who also created the U.N. to carry out the Codex Alimentarius eugenics de-population which is part of the U.N. Agenda 21
The Great Culling: Our Water Official Full Movie
“Agenda 21” The UN’s diabolical plan for the world is explained on the “Glenn Beck Show”
Uploaded on 23 Jun 2011
AGENDA 21 – There are people that want to transform America and put our problems into the hands of the rest of the world.
The best thing we can do is link arms together, neighbor to neighbor and reach out to our houses of worship and community centers and take care of each other like God and the Founders intended us to.
But a growing number of people are latching on to the idea of globalism…groundwork is being laid right now for government control on a global level.
These people have mastered the art of hiding it in plain sight and then just dismissing it as a joke…such is the case with Agenda 21.
What is Agenda 21? Find out on this video. 6-15-11
Fluoride: Poison On Tap – Full Documentary
Is fluoride bad for you? Should you be concerned about sodium fluoride being in your water or toothpaste? Learn why Sweden, Norway, Austria, Finland, China and more countries have banned fluoride. How did fluoride get approved for use in the United States and what are the health effects? Learn everything you need to know about fluoride and what you can do. Click “show more” to learn more about fluoride.
Medical Journal Designates Fluoride as Neurotoxin
The 5 Best Natural Alternatives to Fluoride
Why You Should Reduce Your Exposure to Fluoride
The Dangers of Fluoride
9 Shocking Dangers of Fluoride Exposure
How Fluoride Damages Pineal Gland Health
Chocolate: More Effective Than Fluoride?
New Study Reveals Link Between Fluoride and ADHD
5 Good Reasons You Should Avoid Fluoridated Water
VIDEO: The Fluoride Deception
Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM
Global Healing Center is the premier source for organic living and natural health. We offer a wide variety of high quality, green living lifestyle products to help you maintain a clean body and live a healthy lifestyle. It’s our mission to bring back good health, positive thinking, happiness, and love. We want to help our clients and customers help themselves and realize their body has self-healing mechanisms. We are here to educate and provide the tools necessary to live a long, healthy, happy life.
Visit us online –
Best Fluoride Documentary! The Truth About Fluoride final cut with Dr Paul Connett MR NEWS
If you thought that Fluoride was safe and effective, then you’ve no doubt been following the mainline medicine and government line. Unfortunately the truth is that they lied, committed fraud and covered up evidence in order to facilitate water fluoridation. The following is an in depth presentation by Dr. Paul Connett, the world’s leading authority on fluoride toxicity at the UNCENSORED conference in the grey lynn community hall in New Zealand.
FLUORIDEGATE: An American Tragedy (Full Documentary)
Published on Oct 1, 2013
FLUORIDEGATE: An American Tragedy
A David Kennedy film
Fluoridegate is a new documentary film, made by By Dr. David Kennedy, that reveals the tragedy of how the United States government, industry, and trade associations protect and promote a policy known to cause harm to our country and especially small children, who suffer more than any other segment of the population.
While the basis of their motivation remains uncertain, the outcome is crystal clear: it is destroying our nation.
Dr. Kennedy is the Past President of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. His BA is in Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology from the University of Kansas (1967) and his Doctorate of Dental Surgery is from the University of Missouri (1971).
He is a world lecturer to the dental profession on the safety of dental materials in the human body. His lectures include (among others) addresses to the World Health Organization, the American Dental Society of Europe, the German BGD, and Brazil Rio Eco-Odonto.
Please share and don’t forget to subscribe to the World Public Union on Youtube and Facebook. For more information please visit www.worldpublicunion.org
The Hidden Agenda: The Fluoride Deception
Published on 22 Jan 2013
DR. Monteith goes over the history of fluoride, its use, its dangers and its promotion over time. Why something that is rejected by so many nations is promoted here in the USA.
Learn about the Hidden Agenda behind the use of Fluoride, who’s behind it and the real purpose behind its use. Shocking video.
Fluoride: the poison in your water
About 70% of the public water supply in the U.S. is fluoridated. Fluoridation rates in other countries vary widely. In Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Chile, large
percentages of the population receive fluoridated water.
Some countries have rejected fluoridation, including most of the European countries.
In the U.S. and Canada, over 50 communities, representing over 3.5 million people, have voted to end fluoridation since late 2010.
Here a U.S. dentist, who supported fluoridation for the first 25 years he practiced dentistry, talks about the science and why he changed his mind.
Professional Perspectives: Fluoride in Tap Water
Uploaded on 15 Jan 2008
Part of a new series of “Professional Perspectives” on Fluoride. In this short video, Dr. Bill Osmunson — a general and cosmetic dentist — explains why he is now concerned about fluoride and water fluoridation. To learn more about Dr. Osmunson’s practice, see: http://www.smilesofbellevue.com
To sign the Professionals Statement Calling for an End to Fluoridation, see: http://professional.fluoridealert.org
– Traci Styner The Real Food Channel P.S. Please share Real Food Channel videos with your friends, family and colleagues.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/realfoodchannel
That’s how we grow. Thanks.
Amacord, Inc. 14 North Road, Tivoli, NY 12583, USA
Hardens Your Arteries – Odds Are 6 in 10 You’re Consuming This Poison Ingredient Daily
By Dr. Mercola
It’s no secret that cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. But how many people realize that fluoride—which is still added to many municipal water supplies in the U.S.—is linked to heart disease?
In a new study published in the journal Nuclear Medicine Communicationsi, researchers found that fluoride may be associated with an increased cardiovascular risk as it causes hardening of your arteries.
Reviewing the imaging data and cardiovascular history of patients who received whole-body sodium fluoride PET scans, the researchers found a significant correlation between a history of cardiovascular events and presence of fluoride uptake in coronary arteries.
While there are certainly many factors contributing to the rise in heart disease http://heartdisease.mercola.com/
—poor diet likely being the most important—it certainly doesn’t help to add a chemical to water supplies that will be consumed by everyone in the area regardless of health status, from toddlers to seniors, that might contribute to the problem.
The primary issue here is that there’s a lack of evidence supporting the use of fluoride, and an awful lot of evidence stacked against the indiscriminate use of it, including these latest findings.
The practice of adding fluoride to tap water began in 1945. With more than 70 percent of U.S. public water supplies currently fluoridated, chances are you’re one of the 170 million Americans who drink and bathe in fluoride on a daily basis.ii
Most likely, your dentist—along with countless government and public health officials—has praised and promoted the use of fluoride, both in toothpaste and drinking water, as one of your must-do regimens to promote strong and healthy teeth.
But let’s make this point clear right from the start: fluoride is not an essential nutrient needed for your health—dental or otherwise. There is not one single process in your body that requires fluoride.
Fluoride is a Cumulative Poison
It’s important to realize that fluoride is a cumulative poison. Approximately 98 percent of the fluoride you ingest in water is absorbed into your blood through your gastrointestinal tract.
From there, it enters your body’s cellular tissues. On average, about 50 percent of the fluoride you ingest each day gets excreted through your kidneys.
Whether this happens or not is highly dependent on the presence of calcium, magnesium, Vitamin C, and selenium in your bloodstream, to which the fluoride will bind so that it no longer is seeking calcium-rich tissues that make up so much of your body.
According to the featured study:
“Fluoride uptake in vascular walls was demonstrated in 361 sites of 54 (96%) patients, whereas calcification was observed in 317 sites of 49 (88%) patients.
Significant correlation between fluoride uptake and calcification was observed in most of the arterial walls, except in those of the abdominal aorta.
Fluoride uptake in coronary arteries was demonstrated in 28 (46%) patients and coronary calcifications were observed in 34 (56%) patients.”
The amount deposited into your bones and teeth varies depending on your age.
In children, more than 50 percent of an ingested dose of fluoride is deposited in bone, but in adults only about 10 percent is stored there.
As the number of research studies into the toxic effects of fluoride has increased, there is now support for a rather long list of potential health problems related to fluoride accumulation in your body.
Lowers IQ Hyperactivity and/or lethargyviii Increases lead absorptionix Disrupts synthesis of collagen Brain damage Dementia Muscle disorders Arthritis Bone fracturesvii Bone cancer (osteosarcoma) Dental fluorosis (staining and pitting of teeth) Lowers thyroid function Disrupts immune system Inhibits formation of antibodies Genetic damage and cell deathx Inactivates 62 enzymesxii Increases tumor and cancer rate Increases aging process Reduces melatonin production and leads to earlier onset of pubertyxi Damages sperm, increases infertility
Fluoride—the Toxic Drug in Your Water Supply
Prior to 1945 when communal water fluoridation took effect, fluoride was a known toxin. For example, a 1936 issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association stated that fluoride at the 1 ppm (part per million) concentration is as toxic as arsenic and lead.
The Journal of the American Medical Association stated in their September 18, 1943 issue, that fluorides are general protoplasmic poisons that change the permeability of the cell membrane by certain enzymes.xiii And, an editorial published in the Journal of the American Dental Association, October 1, 1944, stated:
“Drinking water containing as little as 1.2 ppm fluoride will cause developmental disturbances. We cannot run the risk of producing such serious systemic disturbances. The potentialities for harm outweigh those for good.”
How community water fluoridation ended up being so widely implemented, and eventually even became heralded as one of the 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century, is explained in-depth in Christopher Bryson’s book The Fluoride Deception.xiv
In it, he describes the intertwined interests that existed in the 1940’s and 50’s between the aluminum industry, the U.S. nuclear weapons program, and the dental industry, which resulted in fluoride being declared not only safe, but beneficial to human health.
Once you understand the historical context, it becomes easier to grasp why anyone would ever promote water fluoridation as “a good idea.”
Due to the massive amounts of fluoride required to produce bomb-grade uranium and plutonium for nuclear weapons, the Manhattan Project conducted various experiments to determine its toxic effects in 1946.
There were already several instances on record of fluoride being toxic to crops, livestock and people living downwind from the polluters, so the public concern over fluoride emissions needed to be quelled in order to avoid potentially crippling lawsuits.
Within the now declassified files of the Manhattan Project and the Atomic Energy Commission, Christopher Bryson found that the toxicology department at the University of Rochester, under the direction of Harold Hodge, was asked to produce medical information about fluoride that could help defend the government against lawsuits where they were charged with fluoride pollution.
Back in 1957, Harold Hodge was the nation’s leading, most trusted scientist, and when he declared that fluoride was “absolutely safe” at 1 ppm, everyone believed him.
So, the endorsement of fluoride as a nutrient that will grace you with brilliant pearly whites, rather than the poison it really is, was born from the need to address increasingly debilitating political and industrial problems relating to fluoride pollution. The rest, as they say, is history.
What’s Really Added to Your Water Supply?
It’s important to understand that the “fluoride” added to your drinking water is NOT the natural mineral, nor a pharmaceutical grade fluoride. Instead, the product most commonly used is another chemical fluoride compound—a toxic waste product from phosphate fertilizer plants.
There are three basic compounds that can be used for fluoridating water supplies:xv
- Sodium fluoride (NaF)
- Sodium silicofluoride
- Hydrofluorosilicic acid
The first one of these, sodium fluoride, was the first of the fluoride waste materials to be used for fluoridation, but now is rarely used.
It’s the most well known, as this is the compound used as pharmaceutical grade in toxicology studies and other research into the potential health dangers of fluoride.
The other two, sodium silicofluoride and hydrofluorosilicic acid, are the compounds actually used for water fluoridation, with hydrofluorosilicic acid being the most commonly used additive, according to the CDC.xvi Sodium silicofluoride and hydrofluorosilicic acid are the waste products from the wet scrubbering systems of the fertilizer industry, and are classified as hazardous wastes.
Contamination with various impurities such as arsenic is also common in these products.
Hydrofluorosilicic acid is one of the most reactive chemicals known to man. Its toxicity is well known in chemical circles.
It will eat through metal and plastic pipes, and corrode stainless steel and other materials.
It will dissolve rubber tires and melt concretexvii.
This is what is added to your water—all in the name of saving children from cavities!
But even the less reactive sodium fluoride is a deadly poison, even in small quantities, and in the form used for fluoridation also contains additional impurities.
Other common uses for sodium fluoride include:
- Rat and cockroach poisons
- Hypnotics and psychiatric drugs
The Fluoride Deception: An Interview with Christopher Bryson
The Fluoride Deception
An interview with Christopher Bryson
An adjunct to the book:
Dr. Paul Connett of the Fluoride Action Network has now interviewed Christopher Bryson in this hard hitting video as the writer describes his discoveries about fluoride and its sinister connections to major policy agencies in the U. S. Government and to manipulation of popular scientific perception by major academic institutions such as Carnegie Mellon University. He describes how a significant pollutant and industrial chemical by product of the smelting and phosphate fertilizer industry was eventually turned into a miracle cure for tooth decay. And, Bryson describes how career professionals were discredited and ruined in order to guard the dirty secrets of fluoride’s adverse long term health effects.
Possibly one of the most important books to be published this decade – possibly in the last sixty years, “The Fluoride Deception” by former BBC correspondent and award winning investigative reporter, Christopher Bryson was published in 2004 by Seven Stories Press.
This is the book that uncovered the incredible history behind the inception of the public health policy called water fluoridation. It is the book that stripped away the secrecy of government cover-ups concerning the legal industrial battles of WWII and the poisoning of farms and workers exposed to this insidious toxin with unfortunate lifelong consequences.
Taking ten years to write, The Fluoride Deception has spawned a firestorm of controversy as groups of scientists, researchers and medical professionals around the world are now openly challenging the scientific, legal and ethical logic behind the government’s seeming inability to admit how many citizens have had their health compromised or ruined from long term exposure to an accumulative poison that was once used in rat poison and is still used today in pesticides and agriculture.
Once you see this video, you will never think of your toothpaste or your tap water in quite the same way again.
A production of the Fluoride Action Network this video returns to its home on the FAN YouTube channel. The book is available through bookstores and libraries.
Previous visitor count: 192,649 for five years
Water Fluoridation: The “Healthy” Practice That Has Deceived the World
y Paul Connett, PhD, Director of the Fluoride Action Network
Only a handful of countries – largely English speaking (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA) — continue the outdated and discredited practice of water fluoridation, but in each of these citadels, more and more communities are finding out the truth.
Since 2010, over 165 communities worldwide have either ended fluoridation or rejected new proposals (e.g. Portland, Oregon). In 2012, Queensland lifted mandatory fluoridation. In August 2014, Israel banned fluoridation completely.
In Sept 2014, a major law firm filed a lawsuit on behalf of Peel (Ontario) citizens claiming that fluoridation is illegal under a Supreme Court ruling from the 1950s, and on Oct 7, 2014 Dublin City Council joined many other Irish councils calling on the Irish government to end mandatory fluoridation.
This has been followed by similar votes from Cork and Kerry. The response of rabid promoters to these events is highly revealing.
They continue to wheel out “prestigious authorities” to endorse the practice, even while it is becoming more and more obvious – and more and more embarrassing – that these “authorities” have no science to back their exaggerated claims of benefits or their denials of potential dangers.
Indeed, these endorsements are sounding more and more like the empty phrases of the “Hollow Men” struggling in a “dry cellar” in T.S. Elliot’s famous poem of the same name.
The American ‘Hollow Men’
So who are these hollow men and why are they wrong and horribly misleading? Here are some examples from the US, NZ, and Ireland. There are many others.
In the US, Dr. Jeffrey S. Flier, Dean of Harvard Medical School and Dr. Bruce Donoff, Dean of the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
On March 22, 2014, these Harvard deans, wrote the following letter to avid fluoridation propagandist Dr. Myron Allukian (Massachusetts), which has since been given wide distribution by fluoridation promoters.
Allukian almost certainly sought this letter in order to quell concerns generated by two important Harvard studies: a) the osteosarcoma study by Bassin et al., 2006 and b) the meta-analysis of 27 IQ studies by Choi et al., 2012.
“Dear Dr. Allukian:
As Deans of Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, we continue to support community water fluoridation as an effective and safe public health measure for people of all ages.
Numerous reputable studies over the years have consistently demonstrated that community water fluoridation is safe, effective, and practical. Fluoridation has made an enormous impact on improving the oral health of the American people.
Our country is fortunate to have over 204 million Americans living in fluoridated communities and having access to the health and economic benefits of this vital public health measure.”
Response: Like anyone else, these Deans are entitled to their opinion but neither has published any study related in any way to the work of Bassin et al. (2006) or Choi et al. (2012), nor for that matter on any health issue relating to fluoridation.
So here, we see a fairly naked attempt by Allukian to trump serious scientific studies simply using opinions and endorsements rather than valid scientific evidence.
The ‘Hollow Men’ of New Zealand
In NZ, Sir Peter Gluckman, chief scientific advisor to the Prime Minster of New Zealand and Sir David Skegg (President of the Royal Society of New Zealand).
In August 2014, in response to a number of local communities voting out water fluoridation in NZ, Gluckman and Skegg published a review titled the “Health Effects of Water Fluoridation: a Review of the Scientific Evidence.” A press report can be viewed on FluorideAlert.org’s website.1
As far as the science is concerned, this review is inaccurate, selective, and superficial. However, because of the prestige of the authors and the positions they hold, this is likely to be very influential with the NZ media, which are equally inaccurate, selective, and superficial on this issue.
Here is one section of the report, which clearly demonstrates the authors’ apparent willingness to pass on the analysis of fluoridation propagandists rather than to read the cited studies themselves. In a section titled “Effects on IQ,” Gluckman and Skegg write:
“Recently there have been a number of reports from China and other areas where fluoride levels in groundwater are naturally very high, that have claimed an association between high water fluoride levels and minimally reduced intelligence (measured as IQ) in children.
In addition to the fact that the fluoride exposures in these studies were many (up to 20) times higher than any that are experienced in New Zealand or other CWF communities, the studies also mostly failed to consider other factors that might influence IQ, including exposures to arsenic, iodine deficiency, socioeconomic status, or the nutritional status of the children.
Further, the claimed shift of less than one IQ point suggests that this is likely to be a measurement or statistical artifact of no functional significance.
A recently published study in New Zealand… revealed no evidence that exposure to water fluoridation in New Zealand affects neurological development or IQ.
We conclude that on the available evidence there is no appreciable effect on cognition arising from CWF.” (Emphasis mine)
Response: It should be incredibly embarrassing for both the NZ Prime Minister and the Royal Society of New Zealand to have their names associated with such an inaccurate and biased summary of the literature on fluoride’s impact on children’s intellectual development.
Mistaken and Misleading Claims
- Gluckman and Skegg mistakenly claim “a shift of less than one IQ point” in the 27 studies reviewed by Choi et al. (2012). What they have done here is to confuse the drop of half ofone standard deviation reported by the authors with the actual drop in IQ, which was 6.9 points. Such an elementary mistake would not have been made by Gluckman and Skegg if they had actually read the report, instead of relying on what fluoridation propagandists were saying about it.
- Gluckman and Skegg’s claim that “fluoride exposures in these studies were many (up to 20) times higher than any that are experienced in New Zealand or other CWF communities” again indicates that they didn’t read the report (or read it carefully). Only two out of the 27 studies had the “high-fluoride” village concentrations going up to 11 and 11.5 ppm respectively (Yao, 1996, 2-11 ppm, and Wang, 2007, 3.6-11.5 ppm). More relevant to NZ (and other countries with water fluoridation programs in the range of 0.6 to 1.2 ppm) is the fact that 8 of the reviewed studies had concentrations in the “high-fluoride” village of less than 3 ppm.
- Moreover, when harm is found, toxicologists do not normally focus on the highest level but on the Lowest Observable Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL). In one of the studies (Xiang et al., 2003 a,b) the authors sub-divided the children in the “high-fluoride” village into 5 groups with increasing fluoride concentrations in their well water from 0.75 to 4.3 ppm. They found that as the fluoride concentration increased, the mean IQ was lowered in a linear fashion. The lowest level at which IQ lowering occurred was 1.26 ppm. This offers no adequate margin of safety to protect all children drinking artificially fluoridated water between 0.6 and 1.2 ppm.
- This lack of an adequate margin of safety gets worse when one notes that in two respects, NZ children are likely to get higher fluoride doses than the rural Chinese children in this study, because a) they are more likely to use fluoridated toothpaste and b) more likely to be bottle-fed, with levels of fluoride about 200 times more than breast milk (0.004 ppm).
- Gluckman and Skegg claim that of the 27 studies, most “failed to consider other factors that might influence IQ, including exposures to arsenic, iodine deficiency, socioeconomic status, or the nutritional status of the children.” However, the fact that some of the studies did not control for all of these factors does not obviate the need to examine the studies that did. For example, Xiang et al. controlled for lead, iodine, and more recently arsenic.
- Gluckman and Skegg’s use of a single recent IQ study from NZ to rebut these 27 IQ studies (Broadbent et al., 2014) further reveals their bias. The Broadbent study is incredibly weak because the authors were unable to identify any children who had neither been exposed to fluoridated water nor fluoridated supplements. In other words, they had no control group
- It is the weight of evidence on fluoride’s neurotoxicity that should make responsible scientists and health officials more cautious than Gluckman and Skegg. While none of these individual IQ studies is absolutely conclusive (although Xiang’s study comes very close), the overall consistency of the 27 IQ studies is remarkable, considering they were done by different research teams in different countries (China and Iran), and over a very wide geographical area in China.
The results are also consistent with many other animal and human studies indicating the fluoride is neurotoxic. For example, out of 32 studies, 30 have shown that animals perform less well in learning and memory experiments when exposed to fluoride.2 A more comprehensive critique of the NZ “whitewash review” has been written by Dr. Kathleen Thiessen, one of the panelists for the NRC (2006) landmark review of fluoride’s toxicity.
The ‘Hollow Men’ of Ireland
In Ireland, Prof June Nunn, Dean, School of Dental Science, Trinity College Dublin; Prof Martin Kinirons, Dean, School of Dental Science, Cork University Dental School and Hospital; Dr. John Walsh, Dean, Faculty of Dentistry, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland; and Dr. Peter Gannon, President, Irish Dental Association. In a letter to the Irish Times (Oct 6, 2014), probably anticipating the vote by Dublin City Council calling on the Irish government to end fluoridation (Oct 7, 2014), these dentists wrote:
“Sir, – Ireland has a considerable history of water fluoridation. It is 50 years since fluoridation of the water supplies began in this country. Time for the considerable advantages in terms of improvements in oral health to be demonstrated and, in parallel, time during which there has been no documented medical side-effects of water fluoridation.
In the time since water fluoridation was introduced here in Ireland, the population has benefited from improved oral health services, greater access to fluoridated toothpastes and better nutrition. As a consequence, a decision was made, after scientific review, to reduce the level of fluorides in the water supply as in other countries. This is in recognition of these other sources of fluoride and to minimise the side-effect (flecking of teeth) seen when small children eat fluoridated toothpaste while living in fluoride areas.
The benefits of fluoridation are not inconsiderable in terms of all costs. While the population, both adults and children, have benefited from the consequent improvements in oral health that fluoride confers, the benefit to the health service in terms of a reduction in costs of the burden of dental disease and its management, not to say the considerable benefits to families in quality of life as a result of days free of dental pain and no loss of days at work or school in dealing with dental abscesses, are considerable.
Dental disease is one of the commonest, preventable diseases yet the country invests significant amounts of money in dealing with the consequences of that disease. Fluoridation has been proven to have significantly benefited the population thus allowing scarce health service resources to be directed towards acute life-threatening conditions.
No other health-promoting measure has been exposed to such scrutiny and been given an ongoing, clean bill of health. As a measure, water fluoridation has been recognised by the US Cancer Society, as well as the Royal College of Physicians, both here in Ireland and the UK, as being both safe and effective as well as without side effects over decades of vigilance.
We note that the most recently published expert peer-reviewed analysis by the Royal Society of New Zealand finds ‘there are no adverse effects of any significance arising from fluoridation at the levels used in New Zealand’ (ie levels higher than in Ireland). ‘In particular, no effects on brain development, cancer risk or metabolic risk have been substantiated.’ The American Dental Association ‘unreservedly endorses the fluoridation of community water supplies as safe, effective and necessary in preventing tooth decay.’
As parents as well as oral healthcare professionals, we acknowledge these endorsements and continue to advocate one of the few truly cost-effective public health measures this country has known, for the good of all, children and adults.”
- These authors very deceptively claim that in 50 years since fluoridation began in Ireland, “there has been no documented medical side-effects of water fluoridation,” without pointing out that in these 50 years there have been no health studies conducted in Ireland! The absence of study is not the same as the absence of harm.
- They compound this false impression when they say that “No other health-promoting measure has been exposed to such scrutiny” and again when they claim that the measure is without side effects “over decades of vigilance.”
- Their claims about Gluckman and Skegg’s NZ review (discussed above) and the ADA endorsement in the following excerpt is both self-serving and somewhat incestuous since it is one group of fluoridation promoters citing the “opinion” of other fluoridation promoters:
“We note that the most recently published expert peer-reviewed analysis by the Royal Society of New Zealand finds ‘there are no adverse effects of any significance arising from fluoridation at the levels used in New Zealand’ (ie levels higher than in Ireland). ‘In particular, no effects on brain development, cancer risk or metabolic risk have been substantiated.’ The American Dental Association ‘unreservedly endorses the fluoridation of community water supplies as safe, effective and necessary in preventing tooth decay.’”
Many members of the public and the media will probably have to wait until a lawsuit before these “Hollow Men” are exposed. When they have to testify on what they actually know – based on the primary scientific literature –rather on what they believe, it should become clear to all and sundry that their authority on this matter is very hollow indeed.
The Way Forward: Shifting the Burden of Proof
Still despite all the evidence, getting fluoride out of American water supplies has been exceedingly difficult.
And it’s no wonder, really, when you factor in the considerable liability the U.S. government could face were they to suddenly admit that water fluoridation was a way to hide toxic pollution, and there are detrimental health effects associated with drinking these pollutants…
Fortunately, there is a way forward.
According to Jeff Green, National Director of Citizens for Safe Drinking Water, a repeated theme in some of the recent cases where communities successfully removed fluoride from their water supply is the shifting of the burden of proof.
Rather than citizens taking on the burden of proving that fluoride is harmful and shouldn’t be added, a more successful strategy has been to hold those making claims and the elected officials who rely on them, accountable for delivering proof that the specific fluoridation chemical being used fulfills their health and safety claims, and is in compliance with all regulations, laws, and risk assessments already required for safe drinking water.
For example, a couple of years ago, a Tennessee town stopped adding the hydrofluosilicic acid fluoride product they had been using, while still keeping its resolution to fluoridate its water supplies intact (meaning they didn’t make a decision on whether it might be harmful).
They just haven’t been able to find a replacement product that is compliant with existing laws, regulations and safe-water requirements, and they will not add any fluoride product that is not in compliance.
To learn more, please see this previous article, which discusses these strategies more in-depth.
The Truth About Fluoride Dr Paul Connett Expert on Fluoride Toxicity UNCENSORED conference MR NEWS
Published on Apr 4, 2011
PLAYLIST — FLUORIDE: The Bizarre History (All 20 videos on auto play)
Uploaded on 5 Feb 2011
FLUORIDE : The Bizarre History 1/20
FLUORIDE : Cosmetic Effects 2/20
FLUORIDE : The Air We Breathe 3/20
FLUORIDE : The Great Fluoride Scam 4/20
FLUORIDE : The Experts at NAS/NRC 5/20
FLUORIDE : Legal Issues 6/20
FLUORIDE : Funky Teeth 7/20
FLUORIDE : Thyroid Hormones 8/20
FLUORIDE : Intelligence 9/20
FLUORIDE : UNICEF 10/20
FLUORIDE : How Fluoridation Got Started 11/20
FLUORIDE : ISFR Fluoride Journal 12/20
FLUORIDE : Brain Development 13/20
FLUORIDE : The United States Economy 14/20
FLUORIDE : C&EN Special Report 15/20
FLUORIDE : The Natural Resources Defense Council 16/20
FLUORIDE : The Phosphate Connection 17/20
FLUORIDE : EPA Regulations 18/20
FLUORIDE : The Aging Factor 19/20
FLUORIDE : Conclusion 20/20
Music: Steve Phillips – “Dumbing Down”
** Information Links **
Fluoride Action Network
Scientific Facts on the Biological Effects of Fluorides
Why EPA’S Headquarters Union of Scientists Opposes Fluoridation
TEA & the Fluoride Connection
FLUORIDE … The Aging Factor
How to Recognize and Avoid the Devastating Effects of Fluoride
John A. Yiamouyiannis, Ph.D. (1943-2000)
The Greatest “Scientific” Fluoride Fraud Yet?
50 Reasons to Avoid Fluoridation
Governmentally Approved Poison
Fluoride does not reduce cavities and does causes brittle bones and a soft brain
Fluoride: A Chronological History
Oregon Federal Judge Hands Darlene Sherrell a Major Victory Anti-Fluoridation Milestone
Michigan Mandatory Fluoridation Law Repealed
Is Fluoride and Fluoridation Causing/Contributing To Cancer & Other Diseases
Dare to Think — A Message About Fluoride, written by Darlene Sherrell
Fluoride is Poison on Australia TV 2014 Fluoride Toxicity Disease Medical Condition
Report from FLUORIDE RESEARCH on WATER FLUORIDATION & CRIME in the United States of America
If water fluoridation were ended, it might take a generation for the effects to recede.
If it continues to expand, the “signal” identified in this study may get lost in the “noise” of ENDEMIC VIOLENCE.
Fluoride Poisoning Symptoms
© 1996 – 2012 PFPC
(NOTE: This table was originally published in 1998. The links are no longer active)
see also: History
“Though apparently vague and non-specific, most of the symptoms of fluoride toxicity point towards some kind of profound metabolic dysfunction, and are strikingly similar to the symptoms of Hypothyroidism.”
(Dental Fluorosis Medical Module, Case Study for the 4th Year Course in Ecosystem Health at UWO – University of Western Ontario, 2002)
|REFERENCES:1) Dr. Ewald Fischer, Heidelberg (1984)2) Waldbott GL, Burgstahler AW, McKinney HL – “Fluoridation:The Great Dilemma” Coronado Press (1978)3) Yiamouyiannis J – “Fluoride – The Aging Factor”, 3rd. Edition, Health Action Press, 6439 Taggart Road, Delaware, Ohio (1993)4) Mullenix PJ, Denbesten PK, Schunior A, Kernan WJ – “Neurotoxicity of Sodium Fluoride In Rats” Neurotoxicology and Teratology 17(2):169-177(1995)5) Judd G – “Good Teeth Birth To Death”, Research Publications, Glendale Arizona (1997), EPA Research #2 (1994)6) Varner JA, Jensen KF, Horvath W, Isaacson RL – “Chronic administration of aluminum- fluoride or sodium-fluoride to rats in drinking water: alterations in neuronal and cerebrovascular integrity” Brain Research 784 284-298 (1998)
7) Zhao LB, Liang GH, Zhang DN, Wu XR – “Effect of high fluoride water supply on children’s intelligence” Fluoride 29 190-192 (1996)
8 ) Grimbergen GW – “A Double Blind Test for Determination of Intolerance to Fluoridated Water (Preliminary Report)” Fluoride 7:146-152 (1974)
9) Wilson RH, DeEds F – “The Synergistic Action Of Thyroid On Fluorine Toxicity” Endocrinology 26:851 (1940)
10) Rapaport, I – “Nouvelles recherches sur le mongolisme. A propos du role pathogénique du fluor” Bull Acad Nat Med (Paris)143:367-370 (1959)
11) Day TK, Powell-Jackson PR – “Fluoride, Water Hardness, and Endemic Goitre” Lancet 1:1135-1138 (1972)
12) Zhao W,Zhu H, Yu Z, Aoki K, Misumi J, Zhang X – “Long-term Effects of Various Iodine and Fluorine Doses on the Thyroid and Fluorosis in Mice” Endocr Regul 32(2):63-70 (1998)
13) Roholm K – Fluorine Intoxication – “A Clinical Hygiene Study, With A Review Of the Literature And Some Experimental Investigations” H.K. Lewis & Co., London (1937)
14) Luke JA – “Effect of fluoride on the physiology of the pineal gland” Caries Research 28 204 (1994)
15) Hillman D, Bolenbaugh DL, Convey EM – “Hypothyroidism and anemia related to fluoride in dairy cattle” J Dairy Sci 62(3):416-23 (1979)
16) Schatz A – “Low-level fluoridation and low-level radiation –Two case histories of mis-conduct in science” by Albert Schatz, Ph.D,1996, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
17)Visnerevski V – Gig Tr Prof Zabol 13:60 (1969)
18) Spira L – “The Drama of Fluorine – Arch Enemy of Mankind” Milwaukee Press (1953) (Compilation of published articles)
19) Dean T – JAMA 107:1269 (1936)
20) Smith MC – J Dent Res 14:139 (1934)
21) Staub M, Csapo Z, Spasokukotskaja T, Sasvari-Szekely M – “Deoxycytidine kinase can be also potentiated by the G-protein activator NaF in cells” Adv Exp Med Biol 431:425-8 (1998)
22) NTP Technical Report Series No. 393; NIH Publication No. 91-2848; “Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of sodium fluoride (CAS No. 7681-49-4) in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice”, December 1990) National Toxicology Program P.O. Box 12233 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
23) Tohyama E – “Relationship between fluoride concentration in drinking water mortality rate from uterine cancer in Okinawa prefecture, Japan” J Epidemiol (CL8); 6 (4): 184-91 (1996)
24) Masztalerz A, Masztalerzowa Z, Szymanska M, Tomelka J- “Fluorine and the dentition” Fortschr Kieferorthop 51(4):234-7(1990)
25) Li XS, Zhi JL,Gao RO – “Effect of fluoride exposure on intelligence in children” Fluoride 28 (1995)
26) Petraborg HT – “Hydrofluorosis in the Fluoridated Milwaukee Area” Fluoride 10(4)(1977)
27) Jonas I, et al – “Changes in tooth morphology as affected by fluoridated drinking water” Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 94(5):399-4089 (1984)
28) Kunzel VW – “Cross-sectional comparison of the median eruption time for permanent teeth in children from fluoride poor and optimally fluoridated areas” Stomatol DDR 5:310-21 (1976)
29) Fejerskov O, Manji F, Baelum V- “The nature and mechanisms of dental fluorosis in man “J Dent Res 69 Spec No:692-700; discussion 721 (1990)
30) Yoder KM, Mabelya L, Robison VA, Dunipace AJ, Brizendine EJ, Stookey GK – “Severe dental fluorosis in a Tanzanian population consuming water with negligible fluoride concentration” Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26(6):382-93 (1998)
31) Rwenyonyi C, Bjorvatn K, Birkeland J, Haugejorden O- “Altitude as a Risk Indicator of Dental Fluorosis in Children Residing in Areas with 0.5 and 2.5 mg Fluoride per Litre in Drinking Water.” Caries Res 33(4):267-274 (1999)
32) Suheela, AK; Jethanandani, P – “Circulating Testosterone Levels is skeletal Fluorosis patients” J Tox Clin Tox 34(2):187-189 (1996)
33) Tomas James Rees – The Toxicology of Male Reproduction, Literature Review in Applied Toxicology, Portsmouth University, February 1993
34) Balabolkin MI, Mikhailets ND, Lobovskaia RN, Chernousova NV – “The interrelationship of the thyroid and immune statuses of workers with long-term fluorine exposure” Ter Arkh 67(1):41-2 (1995)
35) Franke J, Rath F, Runge H, Fengler F, Auermann E, Lenart G – “Industrial Fluorosis” Fluoride 8:61-85 (1975)
36a) Bosch T – “Nephrotoxicity and fluoride from the viewpoint of the nephrologist” Anaesthesist 45 Suppl 1:S41-5 (1996)
36b) Rush GF, Willis LR – “Renal tubular effects of sodium fluoride”
37) Medvedeva VN – “Blood serotonin levels and urinary excretion of tryptamine in toxic hepatitis caused by fluoride compounds” Vrach Delo (6):92-5 (1985)
38) Kowalska S, Sulkowski W – “Perforation of the nasal septum of occupational origin” Med Pr 34(2):171-5 (1983)
39) Matsumoto S – “Hydrofluoric acid burn: particulars on multiple pulmonary thrombi” Sangyo Ika Daigaku Zasshi 11(4):411-24 (1989)
40) Nelson DG, Coote GE, Vickridge IC, Suckling G – “Proton microprobe determination of fluorine profiles in the enamel and dentine of erupting incisors from sheep given low and high daily doses of fluoride” Arch Oral Biol 34(6):419-29 (1989)
41) Rachmilewitz D, Karmeli F, Selinger Z-“Increased colonic adenylate cyclase activity in active ulcerative colitis” Gastroenterology 85(1):12-6 (1983)
42) Tokar’ VI, Savchenko ON – “Effect of inorganic fluorine compounds on the functional state of the pituitary-testis system” Probl Endokrinol (Mosk) 23(4):104-7 (1977)
43) Strunecka A, Patocka J – “Aluminum and fluoride: a new, deadly duo in Alzheimer’s Disease” Cesk Fysiol 48(1):9-15 (1999)
44)Galetti PM, Joyet G – “Effect of Fluorine On Thyroidal Iodine Metabolism in Hyperthyroidism” J Clin Endocrinol 18:1102-1110 (1958)
45) May W – “Antagonismus zwischen Jod und Fluor im Organismus” Klin Wochenschr 14:790-792 (1937)
46) May W – “Behandlung der Hypothyreosen einschließlich des schweren genuinen Morbus Basedow mit Fluor” Klin Wochenschr 16:562-564 (1937)
47) Gorlitzer von Mundy – “Einfluss von Fluor und Jod auf den Stoffwechsel, insbesondere auf die Schilddrüse” Münch Med Wochenschrift 105:234-247 (1963)
48) Gordonoff T – Fluor und die Schilddrüse, Toxikology des Fluors
49) “Documentation Of Rising Intake of Fluorides” – 26 Official Documents compiled by Darlene Sherrell, Dental Fluorosis Prevention Program
THYROID HORMONE DISORDER/Hypothyrodism Symptom Sources:
50)The Thyroid Society
51)Thyroid Federation International
52)American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Merck Manual,
53) Thomas P. Foley, Jr; M.D.; Professor of Pediatrics University of
54) Werner and Ingbar’s “The thyroid: a fundamental and clinical text” (7th edition) Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven (1996)
55) Pennec Y, Youinou P, Le Menn G – “Hypothryoidism and eosinophilic fasciitis” J Rheumatol 11(1):110-1 (1984)
56) Iurkevich NP, Savchenko TV -“Lymphedema and hypothyroidism” Klin Med (Mosk) 72(2):33-6(1994)
“The examination covered 1191 lymphedema patients (635 primary and 536 secondary disease cases). Hypothyroidism-like thyroid dysfunction was found in 80% of patients with primary lymphedema”
57) Dick DJ, Lane RJ, Nogues MA, Fawcett PR – “Polyneuropathy in hypothyroidism” Postgrad Med J 59(694):518-9 (1983)
58) McLean RM, Podell DN – “Bone and joint manifestations of hypothyroidism” Semin Arthritis Rheum 24(4):282-90 (1995)
59) Neeck G, Riedel W, Schmidt KL- “Neuropathy, myopathy and destructive arthropathy in primary hypothyroidism”J Rheumatol 17(12):1697-700 (1990)
60) Pauszek ME.- “Hypertension as the presenting problem in primary hypothyroidism” Indiana Med. 82(1):28-9 (1989)
61) Proto G, et al. – “Thyroid disease and retinitis pigmentosa”
62) Laoussadi S, Menkes CJ – “Osteoarthritis of rare etiology” Service de Rhumatologie A, Hopital Cochin, Paris. Rev Rhum Ed Fr 61(9 Pt 2):116S-123S (1994)
63) Gries G, et al. – “Studies on the origin of chronic pyelonephritis in hypothyroidism” Med Welt.17:936-9. (1996)
64) Hess RS, Ward CR – “Diabetes mellitus, hyperadrenocorticism, and hypothyroidism in a dog.” J Am Anim Hosp Assoc ;34(3):204-7 (1998)
65) Soares A de D, Falcao LM, De Barros E -“Hypothyroid coma and thyrotoxic crisis” Acta Med Port 1997 Nov;10(11):837-43
66) Caffarra P, et al. – “Ataxia and hypothyroidism”
67) Green ST, Ng JP – “Hypothyroidism and anaemia” Biomed Pharmacother 40(9):326-31(1986)
68) Vernant JC, Cabre P, Smadja D, Merle H, Caubarrere I, Mikol J, Poser CM – “Recurrent optic neuromyelitis with endocrinopathies: a new syndrome.” Neurology 48(1):58-64 (1997)
69) Matteini M, et al.- “On the significance of a syndrome consisting of primary hypothyroidism, testicular germinal dysgenesis, complex renal tubulopathy, mental deficiency, congenital cataract and osteoporosis” Rass Neurol Veg. 22(1):32-55 (1968)
70) Med. Education:Loyola University Medical Education Network
70b) Med. Education:Loyola University Medical Education Network
71) “Thyroid Dysfunction as a Cause of Aggression in Dogs and Cats” Aronson LP DVM & Dodman NH RVMS – Presented at the 43. Jahrestagung der Deutschen Veterinarmedizinischen Gesellschaft Fachgruppe Kleintierkrankheiten 29-31 August 1997 in HCC Hannover, Germany
72) Silverman S Jr. ” Oral changes in metabolic diseases.” Postgrad Med. 49(1):106-10. (1971)
73) Hegedus L, Heidenheim M, Gervil M, Hjalgrim H, Hoier-Madsen M – “High frequency of thyroid dysfunction in patients with vitiligo” Acta Derm Venereol 74(2):120-3 (1994)
74) Ghayad E, Tohme A, Haddad F, Haddad C, Choueiry R – “Scleroderma with anomalies of the thyroid function. 7 cases” Ann Med Interne (Paris) 148(4):307-10 (1997)
75) Keenan GF, Ostrov BE, Goldsmith DP, Athreya BH – “Rheumatic symptoms associated with hypothyroidism in children” J Pediatr 123(4):586-8 (1993)
76a) Borges MF, Abelin NM, Menezes FO, Dahia PL, Toledo SP-“Calcitonin deficiency in early stages of chronic autoimmunethyroiditis” Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 49(1):69-75 (1998)
76b) Baloch ZW, Saberi M, Livolsi VA – “Simultaneous involvement of thyroid by Riedel’s [correction of Reidel’s] disease and fibrosing Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: a case report.” Thyroid 8(4):337-41(1998)
77) Sridhar GR, Nagamani G – “Hypothyroidism presenting with polycystic ovary syndrome”J Assoc Physicians India 41(2):88-90 (1993)
78) Reuland-Bosma W – “Down syndrome–2. Orofacial aspects” Rev Belge Med Dent. 50(3):53-62 (1995)
79) McIntosh LM, et al. – “The effects of altered metabolism (hypothyroidism) on muscle repair in the mdx dystrophic mouse” Muscle Nerve 17(4):444-53 (1994)
80) Krupsky M, Flatau E, Yarom R, Resnitzky P – “Musculoskeletal symptoms as a presenting sign of long-standing hypothyroidism” Isr J Med Sci 23(11):1110-3 (1987)
81) Asami T, et al. -“Incidence of febrile convulsions in children with congenital hypothyroidism” Acta Paediatr.87(6):623-6 (1998)
82) Paloyan Walker R, Kazuko E, Gopalsami C, Bassali J, Lawrence AM, Paloyan E – “Hyperparathyroidism associated with a chronic hypothyroid state” Laryngoscope 107(7):903-9 (1997)
83) Huda SN, Grantham-McGregor SM, Rahman KM, Tomkins A – “Biochemical hypothyroidism secondary to iodine deficiency is associated with poor school achievement and cognition in Bangladeshi children.” J Nutr 129(5):980-7 (1999)
85) Stauffer JT, Weinman MD, Bynum TE -“Hemobilia in a patient with multiple hepatic artery aneurysms: a case report and review of the literature.” Am J Gastroenterol 84(1):59-62 (1989)
86) Mg’ang’a PM, Chindia ML- “Dental and skeletal changes in juvenile hypothyroidism following treatment: case report” Odontostomatol Trop 13(1):25-7 (1990)
87) Rosenthal, SM – “The Thyroid Sourcebook”, Lowell House, Los Angeles (1995)
88) Higashiyama A, et al. – “NMDA receptors in the inferior colliculus are critically involved in audiogenic seizures in the adult rats with neonatal hypothyroidism” Exp Neurol.153(1):94-101(1998)
89) Sumida Y, et al. – “A case of idiopathic hypoparathyroidism associated with primary hyp othyroidism and diabetes mellitus” Nippon Naibunpi Gakkai Zasshi. 20;70(6):609-14(1994)
90) Gordon CM, et al-“Primary hypothyroidism presenting as severe vaginal bleeding in a prepubertal girl” J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 10(1):35-8 (1997)
91) Brenner PF – “Differential diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding” Am J Obstet Gynecol.175(3 Pt 2):766-9 (1996)
92) Hernandez DE, et al – “Influence of thyroid states on stress gastric ulcer formation” Life Sci.42(18):1757-64(1988)
93) Loevy HT, et al – “Tooth eruption and craniofacial development in congenital hypothyroidism: report of case” JADA 115(3):429-31(1987)
94) Simsek G, Andican G, Karakoc Y, Yigit G, Hatemi H, Candan G – “Calcium, magnesium, and zinc status in experimental hypothyroidism” Biol Trace Elem Res 60(3):205-13 (1997)
95) Dorsch C- “Orthodontic studies in children with stunted growth” Stomatol DDR 28(4):232-7 (1978)
96) Noren JG, Alm J-“Congenital hypothyroidism and changes in the enamel of deciduous teeth.” Acta Paediatr Scand 72(4):485-9 (1983)
97)Surks, MI – “The Thyroid Book” Consumer Reports Books (1993)
98) APA/The Monitor October 1995 (“Down’s Syndrome shares symptoms with Alzheimer’s”) http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct95/old.html
99) Lee HW, Klein LE, Raser J, Eghbali-Webb M – “An activator protein-1 (AP-1) response element on pro alpha1(l) collagen gene is necessary for thyroid hormone-induced inhibition of promoter activity in cardiac fibroblasts.” J Mol Cell Cardiol 30(11):2495-506 (1998)
100) Shikata A, et al – “Thoracic aortic calcification in 3 children with candidiasis-endocrinopathy syndrome” Pediatr Radiol. 23(2):100-3(1993)
101) Tsai RT, Chang TC, Wang CR, Chuang CY, Chen CY- “Thyroid disorders in Chinese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus” Rheumatol Int 13(1):9-13 (1993)
102) Panno ML, Sisci D, Salerno M, Lanzino M, Pezzi V, Morrone EG, Mauro L, Palmero S, Fugassa E, Ando S- “Thyroid hormone modulates androgen and oestrogen receptor content in the Sertoli cells of peripubertal rats” J Endocrinol 148(1):43-50 (1996)
103) Autelitano F, Santeusanio G, Mauriello A, Autelitano M, Palmieri G, Orlandi A, Spagnoli LG – “Latent pathology of the thyroid: an epidemiological and statistical study of thyroids sampled during 507 consecutive autopsies” Ann Ital Chir 63(6):761-81(1992)
104) Langenbach A, et al. – “Extraskeletal osteosarcomas in dogs: a retrospective study of 169 cases (1986-1996)” J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 34(2):113-20 (1998)
105) Anton E, et al. – “Primary acquired cold-induced urticaria associated to hypothyroidism” Ann Med Interna 13(9):459 (1996)
106) Rumbyrt JS, et al – “Resolution of chronic urticaria in patients with thyroid autoimmunity” J Allergy Clin Immunol 96(6 Pt 1):901-5.(1995)
107) Lanigan SW, et al – “Association between urticaria and hypothyroidism” Lancet 1(8392):1476 (1994)
108) Whitaker G, et al – “Fibrillary glomerulonephritis occurring in association with hereditary angioneurotic oedema, pernicious anaemia and hypothyroidism.” Nephrol Dial Transplant 13(7):1822-4 (1998)
109) Mann N, et al – “A 50-year-old male with diabetes mellitus, peripheral neuropathy, hypothyroidism, obesity, sleep disorder, pickwickian syndrome, and heart failure.” Mt Sinai J Med 65(5-6):414-21(1998)
110) Isobe M, et al- “Massive pericardial effusion in an adult case of
111) Guerin V, et al – “Dysthyroidism and Parkinson’s disease” Ann Endocrinol 51(1):43-5 (1990)
112) Johannessen AC, et al-“Thyroid function in patients with Parkinson’s disease” Acta Neurol Scand 75(5):364-5 (1987)
113) Faver IR, Daoud MS, Su WP – “Acquired reactive perforating collagenosis. Report of six cases and review of the literature.”J Am Acad Dermatol 30(4):575-80 (1994)
114) Lopez A, et al. – “Sleep apnea, hypothyroidism and pulmonary edema” Chest.97(3):763-4 (1990)
115) Mullin GE, Eastern JS – “Cutaneous signs of thyroid disease” Am Fam Physician 34(4):93-8 (1986)
116) Hornstein OP – “The thyroid gland, the parathyroid gland and the skin” Z Hautkr 59(17):1125-6, 1129-32, 1137-43 (1984)
117) Pandolfi C, Filippi C – “Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with hypothyroidism. Report of a case” Minerva Med 80(10):1129-31 (1989)
118) Wiesli P, et al – “Headache and bilateral visual loss in a young hypothyroid Indian man” J Endocrinol Invest 22(2):141-3 (1999)
119) Mayer D, et al – “Fulminant meningococcal meningitis and sepsis associated with severe hypothyroidism caused by autoimmune (Hashimoto) thyroiditis” Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes105 Suppl 4:80 (1997)
120) Paja M, Estrada J, Ojeda A, Ramon y Cajal S, Garcia-Uria J, Lucas T – “Lymphocytic hypophysitis causing hypopituitarism and diabetes insipidus, and associated with autoimmune thyroiditis, in a non-pregnant woman” Postgrad Med J 70(821):220-4 (1994)
121) Lindbom U, Hulting AL, Tomson T – “Paradoxical GH response to TRH during status epilepticus in man” Eur J Endocrinol 140(4):307-14 (1999)
122) Chadarevian R, Bruckert E, Ankri A, Beucler I, Giral P, Turpin G – “Relationship between thyroid hormones and plasma D-dimer levels” Thromb Haemost 79(1):99-103 (1998)
123) Bailes BK – “Hypothyroidism in elderly patients” AORN J 69(5):1026-30 (1999)
124) Herren T – “Hypotensive crisis” Schweiz Med Wochenschr 123(17):853-67 (1993)
125) Mooraki A, et al – “Reversible renal insufficiency, hyperuricemia and gouty arthritis in a case of hypothyroidism” Clin Nephrol 49(1):59-61 (1998)
126) Klapps P, et al – “Endocrine function in multiple sclerosis” Acta
127) Henrot B, Ninane J, Mercenier C, Vermylen C, Verellen C, Cornu G, Malvaux P “Deletion of the long arm of chromosome 18, primary hypothyroidism, Biermer’s anemia and IgM hypogammaglobulinemia” Arch Fr Pediatr 46(10):729-32 (1989)
128) Dykewicz MS, Fineman S, Skoner DP, Nicklas R, Lee R, Blessing-Moore J, Li JT, Bernstein IL, Berger W, Spector S, Schuller D – “Diagnosis and management of rhinitis: complete guidelines of the Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology” American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 81(5 Pt 2):478-518 (1998)
129) Sugai K, Sugai Y – “Epidural anesthesia for a patient with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, bronchial asthma and hypothyroidism” Masui 38(5):688-91 (1989)
130) Villa MP, et al – “Modification of nonspecific bronchial reactivity in hypothyroid children under different regimens of substitutive opotherapy” Pediatr Pulmonol 2(6):353-7 (1986)
131) Rowe MS, et al – “Hypothyroidism with coexistent asthma: problems in management” South Med J77(3):401-2 (1984)
132) Shapiro M, et al “Asthma as the primary manifestation of selective ACTH deficiency associated with latent primary hypothyroidism” Harefuah 103(5-6):104-5 (1982)
133) Brauman H, Gregoire F – “The growth hormone response to insulin induced hypoglycaemia in anorexia nervosa and control underweight or normal subjects” Eur J Clin Invest 5(3):289-95 (1975)
134) Aynaci FM, Orhan F, Celep F, Karaguzel A – “Frequency of cardiovascular and gastrointestinal malformations, leukemia and hypothyroidism in children with Down syndrome in Trabzon, Turkey” Turk J Pediatr 40(1):103-9 (1998)
135) Marwaha RK, Sankar R, Magdum M, Nijahvan VS, Khanna CM, Jaggi CB, Ambardar V, Maharda NS, Walia RP, Jain SK – “Clinical, biochemical and cytomorphological observations in juvenile chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis” Indian Pediatr 35(10):967-73 (1998)
136) Catapani WR, Valente O, Aguiar C -“A patient with hepatitis B, antimicrosomal antibodies, and autoimmune hypothyroidism” Postgrad Med J 72(854):752-3 (1996)
137) Zampollo A, Cristofori E, Zacchetti O, Spreafico A – “Hypothyroid neuropathy. Description 2 cases” Minerva Med 74(5):165-72 (1983)
138) Kunisada K, et al -“Case of hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism discovered by fainting spells” Nippon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 87(11):2314-5 (1998)
139) Forrest D, Erway LC, Ng L, Altschuler R, Curran T – “Thyroid hormone receptor beta is essential for development of auditory function” Nat Genet 13(3):354-7 (1996)
140) Kalinin AP, Rafibekov DS, Potemkina EE, Shabadin VN – “Effect of plasmapheresis and immunocorrective therapy on the status of the T-cell component of immunity in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis” Probl Endokrinol (Mosk) 40(4):21-3 (1994)
141) Durand JM, et al – “Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hypothyroidism” Am J Hematol 61(1):83-4 (1999)
141b) Coser P, et al – “Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in hypothyroidism: an accidental association?” Haematologica 67(4):625-9 (1982)
142) Messina G, Viceconti N, Trinti B – “The clinical and echographic assessment of thyroid function and structure in patients with a chronic inflammatory intestinal disease” Recenti Prog Med 90(1):13-6 (1999)
143)Keenan GF, Ostrov BE, Goldsmith DP, Athreya BH -“Rheumatic symptoms associated with hypothyroidism in children” J Pediatr 123(4):586-8 (1993)
144) Kumar MS, Chiang T, Deodhar SD – “Enhancing effect of thyroxine on tumor growth and metastases in syngeneic mouse tumor systems” Cancer Res 39(9):3515-8 (1979)
145) Kinoshita S, Sone S, Yamashita T, Tsubura E, Ogura T -“Effects of experimental hyper- and hypothyroidism on natural defense activities against Lewis lung carcinoma and its spontaneous pulmonary metastases in C57BL/6 mice” Tokushima J Exp Med 38(1-2):25-35 (1989)
146) Michel-Reher MB, Gross G, Jasper JR, Bernstein D, Olbricht T, Brodde OE, Michel MC – “Tissue- and subunit-specific regulation of G-protein expression by hypo- and hyperthyroidism” Biochem Pharmacol 45(7):1417-23 (1993)
147) Yokoe T, Iino Y, Takei H, Horiguchi J, Koibuchi Y, Maemura M, Ohwada S, Morishita Y -“Relationship between thyroid-pituitary function and response to therapy in patients with recurrent breast cancer” Anticancer Res 16(4A):2069-72 (1996)
148) Ott VR, et al- “Spondylitis ankylopoietica in postoperative hypoparathyreosis and hypothyreosis” Z Rheumaforsch. 26(1):20-6 (1967)
149) Teerds KJ, de Rooij DG, de Jong FH, van Haaster LH – “Development of the adult-type Leydig cell population in the rat is affected by neonatal thyroid hormone levels.” Biol Reprod 59(2):344-50 (1998)
150) Sfakianakis GN, Ezuddin SH, Sanchez JE, Eidson M, Cleveland W – “Pertechnetate scintigraphy in primary congenital hypothyroidism.” J Nucl Med 40(5):799-804 (1999)
151) Schmidt JB – “Hormonal basis of male and female androgenic alopecia: clinical relevance.” Skin Pharmacol 7(1-2):61-6 (1994)
152) Gold MS, Pottash AL, Extein I – “Hypothyroidism and depression. Evidence from complete thyroid function evaluation”. JAMA 245(19):1919-22 (1981)
153) Kreft B, Greiwe M, Schreiber M, Wiedemann G, Fehm HL – “Diagnosis of an Ullrich-Turner syndrome in pension evaluation”. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 119(33):1115-8 (1994)
154) Hirbli K, Altman JJ, Slama G, Tchobroutsky G – “Effect of clinical hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism on patent diabetes. 59 cases”. Presse Med 14(1):17-21 (1985)
155) Squires L, Dolan TF – “Abnormal sweat chloride in auto-immune hypothyroidism” Clin Pediatr (Phila) 28(11):535-6 (1989)
156) Strickland AL – “Sweat electrolytes in thyroid disorders” J Pediatr 82(2):284-6 (1973)
157) De Nardo D, Franconi G, Sabino D – “Hyperammonemia during hypothyroidism: an unusual biohumoral finding normalized by hormonal replacement treatment” Ann Ital Med Int 14(3):196-201 (1999)
158) Leung AS, Millar LK, Koonings PP, Montoro M, Mestman JH – “Perinatal outcome in hypothyroid pregnancies” Obstet Gynecol 81(3):349-53 (1993)
159) Yamada T – “Manic-depressive symptom associated with endocrine and metabolic disorders” Nippon Rinsho 1994 May;52(5):1311-7
160) Nowotny B, Teuber J, an der Heiden W, Schlote B, Kleinbohl D, Schmidt R, Kaumeier S, Usadel KH – “The role of TSH psychological and somatic changes in thyroid dysfunctions” Klin Wochenschr 68(19):964-70 (1990)
161) Coleman R, Hay RJ – “Chronic mucocutaneous candidosis associated with hypothyroidism: a distinct syndrome?” Br J Dermatol 136(1):24-9 (1997)
162) Ilewicz L, Chrusciel H, Korycinska-Wronska W, Maniak B, Szlachta R, Mniszkowa M, Waszkiewicz-Golos H, Wrobel J – “Condition of the periodontium and mouth mucosa in workers exposed to fluorides” Med Pr 1982;33(1-3):153-6
“Stomatological and mycological examinations of the workers at the fusion department of the RZWM “Silesia” showed a considerable intensification of paradontium diseases (about 80% of cases). Leukoplakia and candidiasis were the most common changes found on the mucous membrane in the oral cavity. Mycological investigations carried out on the Sabourand culture showed Candida albicans in 73,7% of cases.”
163) Haberfellner EM, Rittmannsberger H, Windhager E-“Psychotic manifestation of hypothyroidism. A case report” Nervenarzt 64(5):336-9 (1993)
164) Smirnova LK, Zorenko TI – “Thyroid functional activity in schizophrenic patients with aggressive sexual behavior” Zh Nevropatol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 93(4):68-70 (1993)
165) Lautermann J, ten Cate WJ – “Postnatal expression of the alpha-thyroid hormone receptor in the rat cochlea.” Hear Res 107(1-2):23-8 (1997)
166) Balic J, Kansky A, Wolf A – “Telangiectasias, heavy sweating and diffuse itching of the skin in potroom workers working with the eletrolytic extraction of aluminum” Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 37(3):337-45 (1986)
167) Pehr K, Moroz B – “Cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita: long-term follow-up, review of the literature, and report of a case in conjunction with congenital hypothyroidism” Pediatr Dermatol 10(1):6-11 (1993)
168) Ersoy F, Berkel AI, Sanal O, Oktay H – “Twenty-year follow-up of 160 patients with ataxia-telangiectasia” Turk J Pediatr 33(4):205-15 (1991)
169) Cathy Rookard, Director, ACIDD Association for Children and Infants with Digestive Disorders
170) Gillberg IC, Gillberg C, Kopp S – “Hypothyroidism and autism spectrum disorders.” J Child Psychol Psychiatry 33(3):531-42 (1992)
171) Comi AM, Zimmerman AW, Frye VH, Law PA, Peeden JN – “Familial clustering of autoimmune disorders and evaluation of medical risk factors in autism.” J Child Neurol 14
172) McKay, FS – “Progress of the year in the investigation of mottled enamel with special reference to its association with artesian water” J Natl Dental Assn 5:721 (1918)
173) PFPC NEWSLETTER # 9
174) Aytuluner E, Mensiz E – “Heavy iridocorneal angle hyperpigmentation and glaucoma associated with fluorosis” Journal of Toxicology. Cutaneous and ocular toxicology 21(3):203-212 (2002)
175) Cross JM, Girkin CA, Owsley C, McGwin G Jr. – “The Association between Thyroid Problems and Glaucoma” Br J Ophthalmol. 2008 Oct 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Fluoride Health Effects Database
Fluoride Health Effects Database
Facts and research regarding Flouride & Dental Fluorosis, Kidneys, renal osteodystrophy , cancer, the pineal gland, the thyroid gland, bone disease and much more…
How to Detox Fluorides from Your Body
Join the Fight to Get Fluoride Out of Drinking Water
In summary it would seem like most rational people would conclude you should avoid using fluoride for its “preventive” benefits. You can easily choose not to take fluoride supplements or buy fluoride-free toothpaste and mouthwash. You can also dramatically reduce your fluoride exposure by opting for organic foods, on which fluoride-based pesticides are not permitted to be used. However, you’re still going to be stuck with whatever your community puts in the water, and as discussed, it’s very difficult to filter out of your water once it’s added. Many do not have the resources or the knowledge to do so.
It’s really time to stop the archaic practice of water fluoridation.
Earlier this year I joined forces with Dr. Paul Connett to help put an END to water fluoridation in the U.S and Canada. The Fluoride Action Network has a game plan to do just that. Our fluoride initiative will primarily focus on Canada since 60 percent of Canada is already non-fluoridated. If we can get Calgary and the rest of Canada to stop fluoridating their water, we believe the U.S. will be forced to follow. I urge you to join the anti-fluoride movement in Canada and the United States by contacting the representative for your area below.
Contact Information for Canadian Communities:
- If you live in Ontario, Canada, please join the ongoing effort by contacting Diane Sprules at email@example.com.
- The point-of-contact for Toronto, Canada is Aliss Terpstra. You may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The point-of-contact for the Peel region in Ontario, Canada is Rob Brewer. You may email him at FluorideFreePeel@ymail.com. Also see Fluoride Free Peel’s Facebook pagei.
Contact Information for American Communities:
We’re also going to address three US communities: New York City, Austin, and San Diego:
- New York City, NY: The anti-fluoridation movement has a great champion in New York City councilor Peter Vallone, Jr. who introduced legislation on January 18 “prohibiting the addition of fluoride to the water supply.”A victory there could signal the beginning of the end of fluoridation in the U.S. If you live in the New York area I beg you to participate in this effort as your contribution could have a MAJOR difference. Remember that one person can make a difference.The point person for this area is Carol Kopf, at the New York Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation (NYSCOF). Email her at NYSCOF@aol.com. Please contact her if you’re interested in helping with this effort.
- Austin, Texas: Join the effort by contacting Rae Nadler-Olenick at either: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or by regular mail or telephone:POB 7486
Austin, Texas 78713
Phone: (512) 371-3786
- San Diego, California: Contact Patty Ducey-Brooks, publisher of the Presidio Sentinel at email@example.com.
- iNuclear Medicine Communications January 2012
- iiCDC, Fluoridation Statistics 2002: Status of Water Fluoridation in the United States, December 31, 2002
- iii Journal of Public Health Dentistry 52 (5), 288–291, September 1992, Dennis M. Eble BS, Thomas G. Deaton BS, Frank C. Wilson Jr. MD, James W. Bawden DDS, PhD, Fluoride Concentrations in Human and Rat Bone, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- ivCaries Research 2001;35:125-128, J. Luke, Fluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal Gland, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- v Fluoride Action Network, Paul Connett PhD, 50 Reasons to oppose fluoridation, (Accessed October 26, 2007)
- vi Chemical and Engineering News, August 1, 1988, pp 26-42, Hileman B., Fluoridation of water: Questions about health risks and benefits remain after more than 40 years,, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- vii THE IMPACT OF WATER-BORNE FLUORIDE ON BONE DENSITY, W Czarnowski,a J Krechniak,a B Urbańska,a K Stolarska,a M Taraszewska-Czarnowska,b A Muraszko-Klaudelb Gdańsk-Wrzeszcz, Poland, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- viii Fluoride Journal, Vol.35 Number 3 (2002) 204-211, Bhatnagar M. et al., Neurotoxicity of fluoride: neurodegeneration in hippocampus of female mice, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- ix Neurotoxicology 2000 Dec;21(6):1091-100, Masters et.al., Association of silicofluoride treated water with elevated blood lead, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- x Archives of Toxicology, Volume 74, Numbers 4-5, July 2000, Fluoride induces apoptosis by caspase-3 activation in human leukemia HL-60 cells, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- xi The Effect of Fluoride on the Physiology of the Pineal Gland, Luke J., Ph.D Dissertation, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey, UK. 1997, (Accessed October 30, 2007)
- xii Waldbott GL, et. Al., 1978, Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma. Coronado Press, Inc.
- xiii LewRockwell.com, Donald W. Miller Jr., MD, Fluoride Follies, July 15, 2005,(Accessed October 27, 2007)
- xiv Fluoride Action Network, The Fluoride Deception – an interview with Christopher Bryson, April, 2006, (Accessed October 27, 2007)
- xv Fluoride Action Network, Paul Connett PhD, 50 Reasons to oppose fluoridation, (Accessed October 26, 2007)
- xvi CDC fact sheet, Community Water Fluoridation, (Accessed October 29, 2007)
- xvii Mercola.com, Dr. Ted Spence, The fluoride controversy, (Accessed October 26, 2007)
STATEMENTS FROM EUROPEAN HEALTH, WATER, & ENVIRONMENT AUTHORITIES ON WATER FLUORIDATION
Although the U.S. Centers for Disease Control hails water fluoridation as one of the “top ten public health achievements of the twentieth century,”most of the western world, including the vast majority of western Europe, does not fluoridate its water supply.
At present, 97% of the western European population drinks non-fluoridated water.
This includes: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Sweden, Switzerland, and approximately 90% of both the United Kingdom and Spain.
Although some of these countries fluoridate their salt, the majority do not. (The only western European countries that allow salt fluoridation are Austria, France, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland.)
Despite foregoing “one of the top ten public health achievements of the twentieth century,” tooth decay rates have declined in Europe as precipitously over the past 50 years as they have in the United States.
This raises serious questions about the CDC’s assertion that the decline of tooth decay in the United States since the 1950s is largely attributable to the advent of water fluoridation.STATEMENTS FROM EUROPEAN OFFICIALS:
“Toxic fluorides have never been added to the public water supplies in Austria.”
SOURCE: M. Eisenhut, Head of Water Department, Osterreichische Yereinigung fur das Gas-und Wasserfach Schubertring 14, A-1015 Wien, Austria, February 17, 2000.
“This water treatment has never been of use in Belgium and will never be (we hope so) into the future.
The main reason for that is the fundamental position of the drinking water sector that it is not its task to deliver medicinal treatment to people. This is the sole responsibility of health services.”
SOURCE: Chr. Legros, Directeur, Belgaqua, Brussels, Belgium, February 28, 2000.
“We are pleased to inform you that according to the Danish Ministry of Environment and Energy, toxic fluorides have never been added to the public water supplies. Consequently, no Danish city has ever been fluoridated.”
SOURCE: Klaus Werner, Royal Danish Embassy, Washington DC, December 22, 1999.
To read the Danish Ministry of the Environment’s reasons for banning fluoridation, click here.
“We do not favor or recommend fluoridation of drinking water. There are better ways of providing the fluoride our teeth need.”
SOURCE: Paavo Poteri, Acting Managing Director, Helsinki Water, Finland, February 7, 2000.
“Artificial fluoridation of drinking water supplies has been practiced in Finland only in one town, Kuopio, situated in eastern Finland and with a population of about 80,000 people (1.6% of the Finnish population).
Fluoridation started in 1959 and finished in 1992 as a result of the resistance of local population.
The most usual grounds for the resistance presented in this context were an individual’s right to drinking water without additional chemicals used for the medication of limited population groups. A concept of “force-feeding” was also mentioned.
Drinking water fluoridation is not prohibited in Finland but no municipalities have turned out to be willing to practice it.
Water suppliers, naturally, have always been against dosing of fluoride chemicals into water.”
SOURCE: Leena Hiisvirta, M.Sc., Chief Engineer, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Finland, January 12, 1996.
“Fluoride chemicals are not included in the list [of ‘chemicals for drinking water treatment’].
This is due to ethical as well as medical considerations.”
SOURCE: Louis Sanchez, Directeur de la Protection de l’Environment, August 25, 2000.
“Generally, in Germany fluoridation of drinking water is forbidden. The relevant German law allows exceptions to the fluoridation ban on application.
The argumentation of the Federal Ministry of Health against a general permission of fluoridation of drinking water is the problematic nature of compuls[ory] medication.”
SOURCE: Gerda Hankel-Khan, Embassy of Federal Republic of Germany, September 16, 1999.
“Fluoride has never been added to the public water supplies in Luxembourg. In our views, the drinking water isn’t the suitable way for medicinal treatment and that people needing an addition of fluoride can decide by their own to use the most appropriate way,
like the intake of fluoride tablets, to cover their [daily] needs.”
SOURCE: Jean-Marie RIES, Head, Water Department, Administration De L’Environment, May 3, 2000.
“From the end of the 1960s until the beginning of the 1970s drinking water in various places in the Netherlands was fluoridated to prevent caries.
However, in its judgement of 22 June 1973 in case No. 10683 (Budding and co. versus the City of Amsterdam) the Supreme Court (Hoge Road) ruled there was no legal basis for fluoridation.
After that judgement, amendment to the Water Supply Act was prepared to provide a legal basis for fluoridation.
During the process it became clear that there was not enough support from Parlement [sic] for this amendment and the proposal was withdrawn.”
SOURCE: Wilfred Reinhold, Legal Advisor, Directorate Drinking Water, Netherlands, January 15, 2000.
“The water supply in Northern Ireland has never been artificially fluoridated except in 2 small localities where fluoride was added to the water for about 30 years up to last year.
Fluoridation ceased at these locations for operational reasons. At this time, there are no plans to commence fluoridation of water supplies in Northern Ireland.”
SOURCE: C.J. Grimes, Department for Regional Development, Belfast, November 6, 2000.
“In Norway we had a rather intense discussion on this subject some 20 years ago, and the conclusion was that drinking water should not be fluoridated.”
SOURCE: Truls Krogh & Toril Hofshagen, Folkehelsa Statens institutt for folkeheise (National Institute of Public Health) Oslo, Norway, March 1, 2000.
“Drinking water fluoridation is not allowed in Sweden…New scientific documentation or changes in dental health situation that could alter the conclusions of the Commission have not been shown.”
SOURCE: Gunnar Guzikowski, Chief Government Inspector, Livsmedels Verket — National Food Administration Drinking Water Division, Sweden, February 28, 2000.
See statement by Dr. Arvid Carlsson, the Nobel Laureate in Medicine, who helped lead the campaign to prevent fluoridation in Sweden in the late 1970s.
“Since 1993, drinking water has not been treated with fluoride in public water supplies throughout the Czech Republic.
Although fluoridation of drinking water has not actually been proscribed it is not under consideration because this form of supplementation is considered:
- uneconomical (only 0.54% of water suitable for drinking is used as such; the remainder is employed for hygiene etc. Furthermore, an increasing amount of consumers (particularly children) are using bottled water for drinking (underground water usually with fluor)
- unecological (environmental load by a foreign substance)
- unethical (“forced medication”)
- toxicologically and physiologically debateable (fluoridation represents an untargeted form of supplementation which disregards actual individual intake and requirements and may lead to excessive health-threatening intake in certain population groups; [and] complexation of fluor in water into non biological active forms of fluor.”
- SOURCE: Dr. B. Havlik, Ministerstvo Zdravotnictvi Ceske Republiky, October 14, 1999.
May 2007: A study of European public opinion on water fluoridation, published in the journal Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, reports that the “vast majority of people opposed water fluoridation.” According to the study, Europeans opposed fluoridation for the following reasons:
“Many felt dental health was an issue to be dealt with at the level of the individual, rather than a solution to be imposed en masse.
While people accepted that some children were not encouraged to brush their teeth, they proposed other solutions to addressing these needs rather than having a solution of unproved safety imposed on them by public health authorities whom they did not fully trust.
They did not see why they should accept potential side effects in order that a minority may benefit.
In particular, water was something that should be kept as pure as possible, even though it was recognized that it already contains many additives.” (See study summary)
November 2004: After months of consulation, Scotland – which is currently unfluoridated – rejected plans to add fluoride to the nation’s water.
April 9, 2003: The City Parliament of Basel, Switzerland voted 73 to 23 to stop Basel’s 41 year water fluoridation program.
Basel was the only city in Switzerland to fluoridate its water, and the only city in continental western Europe, outside of a few areas in Spain.